Friday 16 June 2017

Carters Steam Fair, No Joe Bloggs, Joe's Jolly Japes and hopefully Ollie and His Friends soon.

 Carters Steam Fair at Clissold Park - No Joe Bloggs, Joe's Jolly Japes and hopefully Ollie and His Friends soon.

It's time to wind down from the week's exertions, chill out to quote a popular phrase and treat yourself to a glass of the best vintage, go for a long, invigorating walk in the park, fly a kite if you like. What about some good, old fashioned fell walking, rambling in the country, camping in those remote spots of Britain completely unspoilt and there for your delectation. No, well you could fret and worry about the rather sad and disturbing news agenda but I think you should try to escape because we all need a touch of escapism.

This weekend Manor House proudly presents the Carters Steam Fair at our local Clissold Park. It may not be quite what you had in mind but if not you could always take yourself to the Woodberry Wetlands for a gentle spot of butterfly catching and admiring the evergreen beauty of nature at work. But hold on I can hear you licking your lips in anticipation of the Carters Steam Fair. Seriously, why not give it a go. It's different, original and fascinating.

Every year since my wife and I moved into Manor House 14 years ago, the go to place has been the Carters Steam Fair at roughly this time of the year. You can never tell when these events are going to creep up on you but they do year after year. Now I'm not sure whether it ought to be recommended but if the likes of former Strictly Come Dancing judge Len Goodman can wax lyrical about steam engines then who are we to argue.

Now my knowledge of all things steam is rather limited and the chances are that all those steam engine enthusiasts will tear into me with some relish at my ignorance. But here goes. As you've probably gathered by now steam engines are paying a visit to Manor House this weekend. Already this wonderful, old fashioned mode of transport is taking its place on the summery green grass of North London. Yes folks those huge vessels that used to ferry us about in the Victorian era will be belching out their smoke and reminding the present generation that Britain can still gaze back into time and rightly pat herself on the back. This is British history and heritage at its finest.

Anyway, I thought I'd take this opportunity to post my proud, personal treasures. You can still buy No Joe Bloggs, my funny, moving, nostalgic and lyrical memoir at Amazon. No Joe Bloggs is my story, my observations on life, my parents, grandparents, my childhood, my favourite movies, TV, music, radio, a magical mystery tour of my 1960s and 70s, my victories and triumphs, my teenage angst and growing up in Ilford, Essex, vivid descriptions of London and the West End, the East End, my relationship with my late and wonderful dad, soccer, loads of pop culture from the 1960s and 70s, showbiz celebrities from my childhood and lots of humour, lots of good times and the struggles. No Joe Bloggs is I think heart warming, uplifting, feelgood and a book that will bring a wide smile to your face.

My current and latest book Joe's Jolly Japes will come at you from a different angle but is, I think, humorous, quite irreverent but where would life be without its irreverence. Joe's Jolly Japes is all about the great English game of football, the recent successes and setbacks of England's World Cup
history with  a potted history of England's World Cup losses, embarrassments, wins, the managers, players and my take on the momentous events surrounding England's big occasions.

Now I know you've probably read about it all before but this is my left of field take on what went wrong and right when it mattered. There are my descriptions about John Arlott, quite definitely one of Britain's finest and most poetic of cricket writers, my take on Alan Bennett, one of Britain's wittiest of writers, British seaside resorts and what happens or doesn't happen during the winter, more showbiz references, some more references to London, a Hyde Park concert where nothing seemed to happen in between acts, West End department stores and more anecdotes about Ilford, Essex, London and the West End. I've also included my commentary on the Chelsea Flower Show, the Henley Regatta and Polo on the playing fields of England. So if you'd like an entertaining read about the English middle classes then Joe's Jolly Japes is definitely the book for you.

I mustn't forget what I hope will be my next book. It's my first children's book called Ollie and His Friends. Ollie is an Oboe and his friends are Vince the Violin, Harry the Harp, Glenda the Guitar, Penny the Piano and their day out to the country with their family. Ollie and His Friends follows the adventures of a group of musical instruments and their day out at a summer fete. I can't tell you anymore but I can tell you that it's funny and full of fun.

Oh before I go. If you have read either No Joe Bloggs or Joe's Jolly Japes then perhaps you could kindly give me an Amazon review on my Amazon page. Your comments would be much appreciated. So there you are. No Joe Bloggs and Joe's Jolly Japes are now available at Amazon, Waterstones online market place, Barnes and Noble online and Books-A-Million online. You can find both books on most online book shop sites. I might just pop along to Carter's Steam Fair. It could be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment