Thursday 17 November 2016

Joe's Jolly Japes- my current book

Joe's Jolly Japes- Jolly Good Fun

When it came to writing my current book Joe's Jolly Japes I wanted to explore different ground with my writing. Hundreds and thousands of books have been written about the British class system but I wanted to approach it from a different angle.

I wanted to give what I felt to be a humorous and quirky account of Britain's many and diverse national treasures, the events, those familiar cultural dates on the English social calendar. I wanted to express my opinion on the Chelsea Flower Show, the Henley Regatta, Polo on the playing fields of England, England on a Sunday morning, Alan Bennett, the great social observer, the day Hyde Park was reserved for the likes of Chrissie Hynde and Billy Ocean and what happened in between their acts. It is a description that might make you chuckle, giggle and laugh. There's my potted history of the England football team through the decades, the victories and defeats, the players and managers.

But above all Joe's Jolly Japes is fun, nostalgic and lyrical. It may read like a social commentary but it's not. It's my take on all of the above social occasions but with what I think is an amusing turn of phrase. Joe Jolly Japes is a kind of pen portrait or character sketch of the upper and middle classes. It isn't a parody of the class system but it does shine a light on people and their behaviour. In a way it's joky, idiosyncratic and very light - hearted.

In Joe's Jolly Japes I also portray some of my favourite things in a way that I think is affectionately told and explained from my perspective. There are the references to pop culture, the late and much missed David Bowie, the lively Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Elton John and there's also an analysis of West End department stores such as Selfridges illustrated in a very quirky fashion. Then there's the showbiz fraternity of Sir Bruce Forsyth and British seaside resorts when the shop shutters go up and winter arrives.

I also devote a chapter or so to the sporting heroes of another age. There's Jackie Stewart, James Hunt from the exciting world of F1 motor racing, footballing icons, Wayne Rooney and all of his contemporary icons, stars of stage and screen, a homage to the late and great Sir Richard Attenborough and a short piece about Kenwood and the magical classical summer concerts.

We all have an opinion about anything and anybody. You may or may not agree with some of my views and portrayals. But then it would be a pretty boring world if we were in perfect accord with each other.

This year in particular, the nation has become very animated about two issues in particular. Britain's withdrawal from the European Union and Donald Trump's imminent appointment as the next President of the United States has turned Britian into one of the most vocal and talkative countries in the world.

But Joe's Jolly Japes is far from being serious and a complete re-hash of all of those beloved English institutions that I spoke about in the first paragraph. It's very jolly and jocular, extremely descriptive and a reminder of the funnier side of life.


Joe's Jolly Japes is my latest book and is a kind of logical progression from No Joe Bloggs my second book. The difference this time though is that this time there is much more emphasis on my picture of the world around me. Towards the end of Joe's Jolly Japes I offer more observations on lovely Ilford, Essex where I grew up but largely speaking Joe's Jolly Japes is my observation on society, the class system and the wonderful people who make that society tick.

Joe's Jolly Japes is available at both Amazon, Waterstones online market place and Barnes and Noble online.  

No comments:

Post a Comment