Wednesday 28 February 2018

Yours truly on Twitter- @joemorris2018 - and No Joe Bloggs, Joe's Jolly Japes and Victorian Madness Lyrics my three books

Yours truly on Twitter- @joemorris2018 - and No Joe Bloggs, Joe's Jolly Japes and Victorian Madness Lyrics, my three books.

By now the whole world has embraced the very essence of the social media phenomenon with enormous enthusiasm and the technology is expanding by the day, minute, nanosecond, week, month and year. In fact the pace of change is leaving some of us breathless and gasping for breath. At some point we may have to implore those in cyberspace to slow down because this communication business, although very heartening to watch, can leave you cross eyed, lost for words and unable to find our way through the maze of buzzwords, the complex language and the local vernacular.

Most of us are aware of a certain American president by the name of Donald Trump. We also know that he has rather a soft spot for that social media outlet whose name has almost become this generation's national anthem. Trump hits Twitter sounds like the most sensational tabloid newspaper headline but just over a year into his presidency the Don himself has almost taken over Twitter lock, stock and barrel. The man, you feel sure, has sizeable shares in the company and eventually world domination one day will be his.

But now move aside Mr Trump because I've just re-opened a new Twitter account and I'm looking for my very own set of followers and tweeters. Twitter is so fashionable and de rigeur that I may have to invest in a Tablet, I-Pad, my individual website and then a place as chairman of the board at Microsoft, Yahoo or Google. It certainly doesn't hurt to have ambition although the aforementioned companies may be beyond any realistic reach of mine.

Still I'm proud to tell you that I'm back on Twitter with my account, my blog and book promotions and a willingness to do everything possible to tell you about both my books and blog. So here we go. I'm at @joemorris2018 and if you fancy a fun, tongue in cheek and I think humorous read about everything and everything then that's my Twitter feed and I hope you'll have a laugh or two.

I should point out that I've been writing on my blog since last October and have had a ball. It's been a blast, genuinely enjoyable and the best fun you could possibly have in writing. This is me writing conversationally, uninhibitedly and freely. This is not to say that I've felt under any pressure at all when it comes to writing but I've now discovered the sweet joys of writing straight from the heart.

There are no deadlines, constraints and I feel that my voice inside has now been allowed the full rein of expression. So if you'd like to read about my very personal and social observations, my reactions to the latest news and my favourite pastime known as sport then this is the blog for you. For years I didn't think it would ever be possible to find this platform for something I could only have dreamt about 30 or 35 years ago. But the waiting is now officially over.

Social technology and the tools that have become immediately available thanks to the guys and girls at both Facebook and Twitter have brought my dream to fruition. No longer have I been consigned to the obscure margins, reduced to pen and pencil, A4 paper or an exercise book. This was time consuming, boring and laborious and I don't think I ever want to see these now ancient pieces of equipment ever again.

So there you have it folks. I'm a full time member of that remarkably popular social media community, where everybody tweets you, retweets you and then a thousand birds surround you on the first day of spring. If only those magpies, robins and chaffinches knew what the human race was up to it may be safe to assume that they may kick up one heck of a fuss. How dare those humans trivialise our every sound with such shameless mockery.

For me Facebook has now become a way of life and an easy vehicle for my self promotion. I've now been associated with Facebook for well over 10 years now and although as not quite as emotionally engaged as I used to be, I do confess that Facebook has given me the chance to catch up with old friends, family and a whole new collection of authors from every part of the globe.

Now though a new friend has made its presence felt and although still ever so slightly muddled by the minefield of new followers and people following you on Twitter, I now have to declare a passionate interest in how it all works. I'd still like to know how I should find these elusive Twitter followers although so far eight people have kindly responded to my friendly requests.

Still for those of you who are still unfamiliar with my literary offerings then this is the time to give you another reminder of my three favourite books - apart from the esteemed likes of Thomas Hardy and Charles Dickens. These were the consuming labours of love that opened up a whole new world  to me. They were the result of two and half years of meticulous memory digging, reminiscences on my childhood, teenage years and painful adolescence.

No Joe Bloggs is my memoir, an affectionate account of my family, parents, grandparents, vividly descriptive accounts of London, the West End that my late and wonderful dad loved to be a part of and growing up in Ilford, Essex where it all began. No Joe Bloggs is, I think, my funny, moving, nostalgic and lyrical life story, a story about a very ordinary boy who struggled to overcome the obstacles of shyness and immaturity and then triumphed magnificently.

It is a book essentially about my favourite things, my favourite movies, showbiz celebrities from the late 1960s and 70s, music from those glamorous eras, TV comedians, singers, pop stars, programmes, loads of pop culture from the 1960s and 70s and football. There are I believe some extremely original pen portraits about football teams from the 1970s such as Arsenal, Spurs, Ipswich Town, Wolves, Manchester United and City, Everton and Aston Villa and Chelsea.

I describe those culturally defining and earth stopping moments that defined my childhood, the shocking news events, the tumultuous turning points and the people who made it all happen. There is I think a very poignant description of  my grandparents and mum as Holocaust survivors, a fictitious but amusing story about my dad's journey to Las Vegas with his lifetime showbiz heroes Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Junior and his imaginary games of pool with these giants of showbiz.

But No Joe Bloggs is all about nostalgia, fond recollections of childhood and riding on our bikes on the back roads of my Ilford childhood. It is about my lifelong love of grammar, words and recounting very precious memories of being a child and what it meant to be a child.

No Joe Bloggs is still available at Amazon, Waterstones online market place and Books-A-Million online and I think is a snap, crackle and pop of a book, a good, old fashioned page turner, a singing, dancing, happy go lucky, rib tickling, rip roaring read. I feel sure that it will bring a smile to your face and provoke a giggle or chuckle.

My latest book Joe's Jolly Japes is also at Amazon, Waterstones online market place and Books-A-Million online. Joe's Jolly Japes is my personal take on the England football team and its World Cup trials and tribulations, the victories and defeats, the triumphs and the disasters, the players and managers.

I move onto that timelessly controversial subject known as the English middle classes, England, those national treasures such as the Chelsea Flower Show, the Henley Regatta and Polo on the playing fields of England. I talk about my favourite department stores and shops in the West End of London, those charming British seaside resorts and more about Ilford where the junior years of my life took shape. Joe's Jolly Japes is a jolly, jumping, jiving, feel good book that will admittedly tell you about the things you already know but this time from my perspective and I'd like to think that it's an amusing perspective.

Finally, you may want to read my first book. Now I know I've completed this blog in reverse because my first book was by far the craziest and zaniest literary journey I'd embarked on. It was a book about the use of language, the entertainment you can have with words and grammar while always trying hard to keep a straight face.

My first book Victorian Madness Lyrics was my first foray into the world of book publication. It is an affectionate homage to the North London ska band Madness whose career has gloriously spanned the decades. It is what I believe to be the most incredible literary voyage, a spectacular festival of words, mad and ridiculous, a book of posh similes and metaphors, a bonkers book with my originally unique take on most of Madness's back catalogue with funny expressions and over the top phraseology. This was my first attempt at writing and was therefore an experiment but I think you'll like Victorian Madness Lyrics. If it's coffee table reading you're looking for then Victorian Madness Lyrics is definitely the book for you.

Victorian Madness Lyrics is available at FeedaRead.com

So there you are everybody. Another brief journey around my very personal book world, a world of curiosity, keen social observation and a voyage of discovery about not only me but the rest of the world through my eyes. Oh and before I forget. I'm back on Twitter and my feed is @joemorris2018. Oh for the diverse wonders of social media. It's time to look to the future while enjoying the present.   

No comments:

Post a Comment